This call will aim at supporting research on biodiversity to gain a better understanding of the tipping points and trade-offs and underlying mechanisms affecting Nature-based Solutions, and their successful implementation with respect to the benefits for nature, human well-being and societal transformation.
To do so, it will support transnational, interdisciplinary, transdisciplinary, and cross-sectoral research projects (3-years duration) in all parts of the world addressing one or more of the three (non-exclusive) themes below:
THEME A: Synergies and trade-offs of Nature-Based Solutions in the context of human well-being;
THEME B: Nature-Based Solutions mitigating anthropogenic drivers of biodiversity loss;
THEME C: The contribution of Nature-Based Solutions for just transformative change.
A two-step process will apply, with a mandatory submission of pre-proposals at Step 1 and submission of full proposals at Step 2. Pre-proposals and full proposals (in English) must be submitted electronically with the Electronic Proposal Submission System.
- 5 June 2023: Pre-announcement of the call;
- 11 September 2023: Official launch of the call;
- 26 September 2023 at 13:00 CEST: General webinar of the Call;
- 10 November 2023, 15:00 CET: Deadline for submitting pre-proposal;
- December 2023: First eligibility check completed by the Call Secretariat and Funding organisation Contact Points (FCPs);
- Mid-February 2024: Results of the first Evaluation Committee (EvC) meeting; Selected applicants are invited to submit full proposals;
- 9 April 2024, 15:00 CEST: Deadline for submitting full proposals;
- May 2024: Second eligibility check completed by the Call Secretariat and FCPs.
The indicative total budget for this call is thus of over 40 M€;
The aim of the call is to fund medium size projects (with a total budget of typically 1.2-1.5M€ on average; but note that this constitutes an indication rather than a formal limit). The requested funding should be justified and relevant with regards to the work planned within the project;
Please note that all Funding Organisations have defined specific rules – including restrictions with regards to the themes/environments they support. Carefully read the Funding Organisations’ rules and contact your Funding Organisation Contact Point in case of any questions or doubts regarding these rules.
The call is open to proposals and research consortia that meet the following criteria:
- The international, scientific research projects are performed by eligible Organisations. Funding Organisations eligibility criteria apply to research entities and for participation by private sector (profit and non-profit) organisations;
- The project coordinator is eligible and employed by an eligible Organisation accordterms and conditions of the participating Funding Organisation from which he/she applies for support;
- The project coordinator (person in charge) can only participate as coordinator in one proposal of this call. Apart from the position of project coordinator, applicants can participate in several proposals;
- The project must be a transnational project involving eligible research Partners from at least three different countries participating in the call and requesting support from at least three different Funding Organisations; including eligible research Partners from at least two different EU Member States or Associated Countries participating in the call;
- An individual researcher affiliated to several organisations cannot request funding from more than one funding organisation in this call. If participating in the call as part of more than one organisation, the individual researcher must declare which research Partner within the consortium he/she represents. He/she will not be considered as two different Partners within the consortium;
- Proposals must be written in English; The submission of a pre-proposal is compulsory. Applicants cannot submit a proposal at a later stage otherwise;
- Pre-proposals and full proposals must be received before the deadlines set for the submission;
- Proposals must meet all the formal criteria: submitted electronically on the system, respect page limits and number/type of attachments allowed.
Link: For more information, click here.